In 2021, the world is more connected than ever.
This means more children need Chinese to communicate with each other.
Also, the more Chinese they know now, the better their future opportunities will be.
So, today’s parents often ask what is the best way for young kids to learn to speak Chinese?
The solution to this problem is quite simple:
|The best way to learn to speak Chinese is… by speaking Chinese.|
That sounds easy enough, right?
Whether you choose a private tutor, an international school or a mobile application, practicing is key.
However, a school has its limitations: young learners should have the time to enjoy learning Chinese in a fun and casual setting.
Kids like to talk about different things than adults.
So, what should you talk about then?
To solve this problem, our experts have put together the ultimate collection of conversation starters for kids with 3 to 7 year-olds in mind (Pre A-1 and A-1).
You can now use these conversation topics at home with your child to accelerate their Chinese language acquisition.
This means quality time with your child while having fun conversations. To help you even more, we have an added bonus: Click the “Play” button next to each question to listen to the pronunciation!
1. Questions About Themselves:
Everyone likes to talk about themselves and children are no exception.
These questions are easy enough to start a conversation with any child.
If the child is very young, use body language to add meaning to the questions.
- What is your name? 你叫什么名字？ (nǐ jiào shén me míng zì)
- How old are you? 你几岁？ (nǐ jǐ suì)
- When is your birthday? 你的生日是什么时候？ (nǐ de shēng rì shì shén me shí hòu)
- Do you like birthday parties? 你喜欢生参加日派对吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān cān jiā shēng rì pài duì ma)
- Do you like birthday cake? 你喜欢生日蛋糕吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān shēng rì dàn gāo ma)
- Do you like getting gifts on your birthday? 你喜欢在生日那天收到礼物吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān zài shēng rì nèi tiān shōu dào lǐ wù ma)
- Do you like to play with your friends? 你喜欢和你的朋友一起玩吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān hé nǐ de péng yǒu yī qǐ wán ma)
- Can you sing “Happy Birthday”? 你会唱生日快乐吗？(nǐ huì chàng “shēng rì kuài lè” ma)
- What is your favorite toy? 你最喜欢的玩具是什么？ (nǐ zuì xǐ huān de wán jù shì shén me)
- Do you have pets? 你有宠物吗？ (nǐ yǒu chǒng wù ma)
- What colour hair do you have? 你有什么颜色的头发？ (nǐ yǒu shén me yán sè de tóu fǎ)
- What colour eyes do you have? 你有什么颜色的眼睛？ (nǐ yǒu shén me yán sè de yǎn jīng)
- Are you short or tall? 你是矮还是高？ (nǐ shì ǎi hái shì gāo)
- Do you like school? 你喜欢学校吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān xué xiào ma)
- Who is your best friend? 谁是你最好的朋友？ (shéi shì nǐ zuì hǎo de péng yǒu)
- Do you like to study Chinese? 你喜欢学中文吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān xué zhōng wén ma)
- Can you ride a bike? 你会骑自行车吗？ (nǐ huì qí zì xíng chē ma)
- Can you swim? 你会游泳吗？ (nǐ huì yóu yǒng ma)
- What is your favorite game? 你最喜欢的游戏是什么？ (nǐ zuì xǐ huān de yóu xì shì shén me)
- Can you write your name? 你能写你的名字吗？ (nǐ néng xiě nǐ de míng zì ma)
2. Questions About Their Family:
- Do you have a big or a small family? 你有一个大家庭还是一个小家庭？ (nǐ yǒu yī gè dà jiā tíng hái shì yī gè xiǎo jiā tíng)
- Do you have brothers? 你有兄弟吗？ (nǐ yǒu xiōng dì ma)
- How many brothers do you have? 你有几个兄弟？ (nǐ yǒu jǐ gè xiōng dì)
- Are they older or younger than you? Are they bigger or smaller? 他们比你大还是比你小？ 他们比你大只还是小只？ (tā men bǐ nǐ dà hái shì bǐ nǐ xiǎo? tā men shì bǐ nǐ dà zhǐ hái shì xiǎo zhǐ)
- Do you have sisters? 你有姐妹吗？ (nǐ yǒu jiě mèi ma?)
- How many sisters do you have? 你有几个姐妹？ (nǐ yǒu jǐ gè jiě mèi)
- What is your mother’s name? 你母亲的名字是什么？ (nǐ mǔ qīn de míng zì shì shén me)
- What is your father’s name? 你父亲叫什么名字？ (nǐ fù qīn jiào shén me míng zì)
- What is your brother’s name? 你兄弟叫什么名字？ (nǐ xiōng dì jiào shén me míng zì)
- What is your sister’s name? 你姐姐叫什么名字？ (nǐ jiě jiě jiào shén me míng zì)
- Do you ever fight with your brothers/sisters? 你有没有和你的兄弟/姐妹打架？ (nǐ yǒu méi yǒu hé nǐ de xiōng dì/jiě mèi dǎ jià)
- Who is the strongest? You or your brother/sister? 谁是最强？ 你还是你的兄弟/姐妹？ (shéi shì zuì qiáng? nǐ hái shì nǐ de xiōng dì/jiě mèi)
- Who can run the fastest? You or your brother/sister? 谁能跑得最快？ 你还是你的兄弟/姐妹？ (shéi néng pǎo dé zuì kuài? nǐ hái shì nǐ de xiōng dì/jiě mèi)
- Who can jump the highest? You or your brother/sister? 谁能跳得最高？ 你还是你的兄弟/姐妹？ (shéi néng tiào dé zuì gāo? nǐ hái shì nǐ de xiōng dì/jiě mèi)
- Who lives in your home? Your grandmother? Your grandfather? 谁住在你家？ 你奶奶？ 你爷爷？ (shéi zhù zài nǐ jiā? nǐ nǎi nai? nǐ yé yé)
- Is your house big or small? 你的房子大还是小？ (nǐ de fáng zi dà hái shì xiǎo)
- Do you have a garden? 你有花园吗？ (nǐ yǒu huā yuán ma)
- Do you have flowers in the garden? 你花园里有花吗？ (nǐ huā yuán li yǒu huā ma)
- Where do you live? 你住在哪里？ (nǐ zhù zài nǎ lǐ)
More topics and more questions:
The following topics are about other things that generally interest young learners. You can use objects, things around the house, magazines and drawings to make the meaning of the questions clearer. Remember, if your child is very young, use TPR (total physical response or body language) to add meaning to the questions.
- What do you eat for lunch at school? 你在学校午餐吃什么？ (nǐ zài xué xiào wǔ cān chī shén me)
- What is your favorite subject? 你最喜欢的科目是什么？ (nǐ zuì xǐ huān de kē mù shì shén me)
- What is your Chinese teacher’s name? 你的中文老师叫什么名字？ (nǐ de zhōngwén lǎo shī jiào shén me míng zì)
- How many students are there in your class? 你的班有机位学生？ (nǐ de bān yǒu jī wèi xué shēng)
- Do you like going to school? 你喜欢上学吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān shàng xué ma)
- Why? 为什么？ (wèi shé me)
- How many friends do you have at school? 你在学校有多少朋友？ (nǐ zài xué xiào yǒu duō shǎo péng yǒu)
- What is your best friend’s name? 你最好的朋友叫什么名字？ (nǐ zuì hǎo de péng yǒu jiào shén me míng zì)
- What time does your school start every day? 你的学校每天几点开学？ (nǐ de xué xiào měi tiān jǐ diǎn kāi xué)
- Can you count to 10? 你能数到10吗？ (nǐ néng shù dào 10 ma)
- How many legs do you have? 你有几条腿？ (nǐ yǒu jǐ tiáo tuǐ)
- How many fingers do you have? 你有几根手指？ (nǐ yǒu jǐ gēn shǒu zhǐ)
- Can you write the numbers 1 – 10? 你会写1-10吗？ (nǐ huì xiě 1-10 ma)
- How much is 1 plus 3? 1加3等于多少？ (1 jiā 3 děng yú duō shǎo)
- Which one is bigger, 10 or 5? 哪个数字更大，10 还是 5？ (nǎ ge Shù zì gèng dà,10 háishì 5?
- What number comes before 3? 什么数字在 3 之前？ (shén me shù zì zài 3 zhī qián)
- Can you count in twos? 你能数二位數吗？ (nǐ néng shù èr wèi shù ma)
- Who has more pencils? You or me? 谁有更多的铅笔？ 你或我？ (shéi yǒu gèng duō de qiān bǐ? nǐ huò wǒ?)
- What number is missing? (Show your child a sequence of numbers with one missing.) 缺少了什么号码？ (quē shǎo le shén me hào mǎ)
5. Favorite Things:
- Do you like candy? 你喜欢糖果吗？ (nǐ xǐ huān táng guǒ ma)
- What is your favorite snack? 你最喜欢的零食是什么？ (nǐ zuì xǐ huān de líng shí shì shén me)
- What toys do you have? 你有什么玩具？ (nǐ yǒu shé me wán jù)
- Which toy is your favorite? 你最喜欢哪个玩具？ (nǐ zuì xǐ huān nǎ ge wán jù)
- Do you like to watch TV? 你喜欢看电视吗？ (nǐ xǐhuān kàn diànshì ma)
- What is your favorite TV show? 你最喜欢的电视节目是什么？ (nǐ zuì xǐhuān de diànshì jiémù shì shénme)
- Do you like video games? 你喜欢电子游戏吗？ (nǐ xǐhuān diànzǐ yóuxì ma)
- Which one is your favorite video game? 你最喜欢哪个电子游戏？ (nǐ zuì xǐhuān nǎ ge diànzǐ yóuxì)
- Do you like to play outside? 你喜欢在外面玩吗？ (nǐ xǐhuān zài wàimiàn wán ma)
- Why? 为什么？ (wèi shé me)
- Do you have a pet?
- What kind of pet do you have?
- Do you have a fish? (The next few questions can be asked of any pet.)
- What colour is your fish?
- Does your fish have big or small eyes?
- Does it have a long tail or a short tail?
- (If your child does not have a pet) Would you like to have a pet?
- What kind of food does you fish eat?
- Does it swim fast or slow? (Change the verb to suit the kind of pet)
- Is it in a bowl or a tank? Does your dog stay outside or inside the house?
7. Days of the week:
- How many days are there in a week?
- Do you know the names of the days of the week?
- How many days in a week do you go to school?
- Which day is your favorite day?
- Why is it your favorite day?
- What day is the last day of school in the week?
- What day do you not go to school?
- Which days are the weekend?
- On which day can you play all day?
- On what day is your favorite TV show?
- What time is it?
- What time do you go to sleep at night?
- What time do you eat lunch?
- What time do you wake up in the morning?
- What time do you usually take a nap?
- What time do you go to school?
- Do you get up early on Sundays?
- Can you go to bed late on Saturdays?
- What time is dinner?
- Do you have a watch?
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you like noodles or rice?
- What candy do you like?
- What is your favorite drink?
- Can you cook your own food?
- Can you make a sandwich?
- What is your favorite fast food?
- Do you like chocolates?
- What’s your favorite meat?
- Do you share your snacks with your best friend?
10. Toys and Games:
- What is your favorite toy?
- Do you have many toys?
- Do you like teddy bears?
- Do you play with cars or dolls?
- What colour is your doll’s hair?
- What colour is your favorite car?
- Do you play computer games?
- What is your favorite computer game?
- Do you like to share your toys with your friends?
- What soft toys do you have?
11. Holidays and Celebrations:
- Do you celebrate Christmas?
- Do you get gifts for Christmas?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What do you do on your favorite holiday?
- Do you like Halloween?
- Do you dress up for Halloween?
- What is your favorite holiday food?
- Do you get gifts on your favorite holiday?
- Do you get money on your favorite holiday?
- Which holidays does your family spend together?
- What’s your favorite colour?
- Do you like red?
- What colour are your shoes?
- What colour are your eyes?
- What colour is your hair?
- What colour is your grandmother’s hair?
- What colour do you get if you mix red and yellow?
- Do you know the colour gold?
- What colour is your favorite toy?
- How many colours do you know?
- How many shapes can you draw?
- Can you draw a diamond shape?
- Can you draw a big circle and a small circle?
- What shape is your desk?
- What shape is a pizza?
- Can you draw a square and a rectangle?
- What shape is your watch?
- What shape is a yo-yo?
- What shape is an egg?
- What is your favorite shape?
14. The Weather and Seasons:
- What’s the weather like today?
- Can you sing a weather song?
- Do you like rainy weather?
- Have you ever seen snow?
- Can you build a snowman?
- Can you ice skate?
- Do you like sunny weather or rainy weather?
- What color is the sky on a sunny day?
- What color is the sky on a rainy day?
- Can you name the four seasons?
15. Your Home:
- Is your home big or small?
- Do you share a bedroom with your brother or sister?
- Do you know how to make your bed?
- In what room do you take a shower?
- Where do you eat dinner every night?
- How many rooms are there in your home?
- Do you have a garden at home?
- Do you have a balcony?
- How many bathrooms do you have?
- Do you wear your shoes inside your home?
- Do you have a hat?
- What colour is your hat?
- Do you wear a sweater on a hot day?
- When do you wear a sweater?
- Where do you go when you wear a swimsuit?
- What colours are your school uniform?
- Do you have yellow shoes?
- What colour are your favorite shoes?
- What colour is your favorite dress/shirt?
- Do you wear one or two socks?
- Can you sing a happy song?
- Do you like to be sad?
- When do you smile?
- What makes you angry?
- What scares you?
- Do you get bored at school?
- Are you tired at night before you go to bed?
- Do you make your brother/sister angry sometimes?
- What makes you happy?
- Did you cry today?
- Can you swing on your own?
- Can you seesaw on your own?
- Do you like to play on a slide?
- What is your favorite thing to do at the playground?
- Is there a playground near your house?
- Is there a playground at your school?
- Do you know what a jungle gym is?
- Can you climb on a jungle gym?
- Can you swing high?
- Do you like to go with your friends to the playground?
- How do you get to school? By bus, train, car or bicycle?
- Have you ever flown in an airplane?
- Have you ever travelled by boat?
- Do you have a bicycle?
- Can you ride a bicycle?
- How many toy cars do you have?
- Do you like to ride on a train?
- Does your family have a car or a motorcycle?
- Do you like riding on a bus?
- Do you know what a helicopter is? Can you draw one?
20. Insects and bugs:
- Do you like butterflies?
- What colour is a ladybird/ladybug?
- Are you scared of spiders?
- How many legs does a spider have?
- Do you like worms?
- Can you eat a worm?
- Can a grasshopper jump?
- Do you like flies?
- What do bees make?
- Can a caterpillar fly?
- Can you run fast? Show me!
- Can you jump rope?
- How high can you jump? Show me!
- Can you do jumping jacks/star jumps?
- How many can you do?
- Can you play badminton?
- What exercise do you do with your family?
- Can your grandfather run fast?
- Can you run faster than your best friend?
- Can you hula hoop? Can you show me?
22. Music And Singing:
- Can you play the piano?
- Can you play drums?
- What is your favorite instrument?
- Can you sing the ABC song?
- What is your favorite song?
- Can you sing your favorite song for me?
- Do you know what a violin is?
- Can you play the tambourine?
- What instrument is noisy?
- Can you play the ukulele?
How To Use This Compilation
You now have the perfect list to start conversations with your child.
This will help your child to learn Chinese faster and be more confident.
We suggest you spend 10 to 15 minutes a day going through different questions on the list.
To help you even more, we have the perfect solution for parents who don’t have time to practice with their child every day: Your child’s own AI Chat Buddies!
You can find these Chat Buddies on our platform at Galaxy Kids. They are like private native teachers in your pocket!
At Galaxy Kids, our mission is to get kids speaking English in record time (and in this article we explain why speaking should come first).
If you use Galaxy Kids consistently, your child could be speaking English in only 90 days.
Our list of questions above will help you with this!
So, why don’t you try a free lesson?
Have fun learning!